Sunday 14 February 2021

Going for Broke

In last night's EBU 12-board tournament Anna and I got off to a great start. On the first board I opened third in hand with an awful 9 points, got raised to the three level and made it. We were flying along, at least for the first three boards. Things slowed down a bit as we both failed to make overtricks, through a combination of their solid defence and our unimaginative declarer play. With one board to go we had dipped below 50%, so needed something good on the last:

West opened 1♥ and Anna overcalled 1NT. I know she's got a decent hand with a good Heart stop, and considered bidding 6♣. I made the sensible bid of 3NT though, expecting it to make comfortably.

My plans were scuppered when West bid 4♥. Anna doubled this, I suppose showing she really did have a very good Heart stop. Not many tables would be playing in 4♥x, so this could be the swing I was after.

However, having been restrained once I couldn't resist the second time, and had a go at 6♣. Since this was matchpoints there wasn't much point bidding only 5♣, as even if that made it would be a poor score losing to the majority of tables playing a comfortable 3NT.

6♣ was passed out and West lead the Ace of Spades and another. Despite dummy having nothing in Clubs it has some play. It could all come down to guessing trumps. I decided to play the Ace on the first round then finesse, reasoning I could cope with trumps 4-1 onside. But in fact they were 5-0 onside. This might not have been fatal if I had enough winners to play through East (meaning he has to ruff and I can overruff) but here it's got no chance.

Given West's unusual bidding, perhaps I should assume there's a void somewhere, and Clubs is the most likely place for it. So that argues for finessing Clubs on the first round, though in fact that's still not enough to make it.

If I leave in the double of 4♥ that's no good either. Despite Anna's excellent trumps, my ♥Q and are other two Ace-Kings we only get six tricks for +500, still losing out to 3NT making. And that's assuming we don't crash any of our trump honours. As it was going down in 6♣ didn't score well either, and we finished on 46%.

No comments:

Post a Comment