Wednesday 24 February 2021

EBU Wednesday Night

Having spent the weekend watching other people play bridge, I was thinking how easy it all was. Time to put that to the test. Tonight Anna and I played the 1930 twelve board EBU tournament. 

Things did not start well, and it soon became clear we were in a battle to finish above 50%. Then it became clear we were going to lose that battle. At least we finished on a high. This was the last board:

The 1♠ is a five card major and the 3♠ four card support with 0-6. When this came round to Anna she reasoned I must have a few points and doubled. I failed to work out that she was unlikely to have four Hearts (she would have doubled the first time) and bid a reluctant 4♥. I clicked it in what I hoped was a confident way though, and West quickly bid 4♠. In for a penny, in for a pound, I doubled this.

Anna cashed the ♥A then switched to the ♦J. I thought we would have loads of tricks but actually with declarer's singleton Diamond it was just one off. Still, +100 was a matchpoint top, to propel us to 47% overall and 84th place.

No comments:

Post a Comment