Sunday 22 November 2020

Tuesday night SBU

Ted and I had another game together on Tuesday. In felt very tired, and made a few errors in the endgame. Once I could have ruffed my partner's winner and returned a trump to put declarer two down; I sort of knew this was right but couldn't bring myself to do it and settled for one off, which turned out to be a bad score. I put that down to a missed opportunity to play well, rather than a mistake.

There was one highlight - the hand below is the first one I think I've ever opened a Strong Two:

We play Standard Benji so my 2♣ showed a strong suit (or strong and balanced), then when I showed Hearts Ted passed with his minimum hand. I thought this was a textbook Benji Two bid, a 'strong suit with 7 1/2 to 8 winners', but apparently it's actually too weak, and I should have opened 1♥. On this occasion it worked well as a sort of pre-empt, with my strong opening keeping them out the auction. Even better, once they lead Spades my 7 1/2 th trick became my 8th and 2♥ made.

No comments:

Post a Comment