Wednesday 15 June 2022

Buchanan Pairs

After a long hiatus, and the birth of his first child Xander, I reunited with John Faben for a pair's evening at the Buchanan. This was run simultaneously with the Buchanan's online pairs.

Our most talked about board was the first one:

John
Danny
WNES
3♦--3NT
-4♥--
-

John opened the bidding with 3♦, passed round to South who promptly bid 3NT. North corrected to 4♥. I cannot fault the ethics of our opponents as South didn't dither about the 3NT, so North's decision to remove to 4♥ can't be said to be influenced by any uncertainty from his partner.

North has hit the jackpot here though - as parnter has good Heart support and only a single Diamond stop. 3NT was tried at a few tables, and went four off.

Against 4♥ I led my King of Diamonds which declarer took with the Ace, curiously dropping the ♦8 from hand. When he started on trumps I snapped up the Ace, and crossed to my partner's Ace of Clubs. John then underled his ♦QJT9 across to my high ♦7, and I gave him a Club ruff for one off.

At least, it would have been nice if that's what really happened.

Declarer did really drop the ♦8 at trick one, so this defence was possible, but when in with my trump Ace I cashed my winning Diamond before playing Clubs. I knew this was matchpoints and was worried declarer had something like ♣Ax and was going to discard a Diamond. When I then played a Club to partner's Ace that was the end for the defence. I do believe John would have underled his Diamonds if I had of put him in with a Club earlier though (partly because he thought it was IMPs scoring).

Conceding 4♥= got us just 19%, so I suppose I shouldn't have worried about holding declarer to ten tricks.

After this missed opportunity for glory we did fairly well. I overbid a little but they mostly came home and we finished on 63%.

No comments:

Post a Comment