Tuesday 27 April 2021

SOL3: Faben vs Outred

After a heavy loss last week we were looking to bounce back. It was a fairly quiet night, with some low scoring. In the first half John and I defended some part-scores well (which still made), lost an unlucky swing wrongsiding a game, and got one back when John made this 4♥ that went down on the other table:

My 1♣ followed by 2♦ shows 18-19 balanced, and John's bidding shows at least 5-5, so I had an easy raise to 4♥.

A club was led. There are several losers in trumps but possibly nothing else. John cashed the ♥A then played on Spades. The defence scored their ♥KQJ separately but they were the only tricks for the defence, 4♥ making.

At the other table declarer didn't cash the ♥A and went one down, suffering four ruffs instead of three.

On the last board of the first half I threw away a chance for glory:

I don't like my 3♣ bid, but felt I needed to act with the short Spades. When John doubled I thought at this vulnerability I had to try 3NT, even though I knew on the expected Spade lead I'd need nine running tricks.

East lead the ♠4 and I surveyed dummy. I needed the Clubs to come in, which is unlikely, but at least it's got a chance. What I didn't realise was that the defence have now blocked Spades, so I can afford to lose one Club, and still make it. But I decided it was prudent to cash some Diamonds, to limit the expected undertricks and also to put some pressure on the defence. In doing so I inadvertently sealed my fate, as when I took the Club finesse and it lost, although the defence couldn't cash their Spades they could cash the ♦J though for one off.

My 3NT-1 could have been a good result vs 3NT-4 (if East leads a top Spade), but actually on the other table at the same point in the auction South bid 4♣ instead of double. They made 4♣ to give us a 6 IMP loss. I like our auction better, even if it lead to a bad game here.

At the half way point we were 10 IMPs down.

In the second half there were two high-scoring boards.

When John opened 3♠ I had a clear raise to 4♠, expecting it to make (perhaps losing one Club and two Diamonds). But East doubled and West bid 5♣. I passed this without much thought and lead my top Hearts.

When we won the first three Heart tricks that was good news, but it became a little too good once we took two more Club tricks. 5♣-3 was worth +300, against a likely 4♠= or 4♠x=. In fact on the other table when West passed the double it was 4♠x+1, and we lost 9 IMPs.

Although it didn't occur to me at the time, I now wonder if I should have doubled 5♣. I'm not expecting any Club tricks from partner, but there's an excellent chance of three Hearts and maybe the Ace of Spades.

The other high-scoring board was this one:

John opened 1♠ and playing five card majors I have good support. I could have splintered with 4♥, though I think that's wrong here as my hand is too weak to be happy passing if John signs off in 4♠, and too good to go on too. I decided to bid 3♥, which shows a good three card Spade raise.

What I didn't realise was that it's a limit raise, showing 10-12 points. I thought it was unlimited.

Opposite my limit raise John went to 4♠, showing a good hand. It was now time to catch up. I bid Blackwood, which obviously confused partner but he dutifully showed two keycards. I could now investigate a grand slam, but thought it couldn't be that good and signed off in six.

Obviously everything split nicely (and John carefully ruffed a Heart too) for 6♠+1. This was duplicated on the other table.

We lost the second half by 9 IMPs, for an overall 19 IMP loss and just 5.92 VPs.

Next week it's our final match - a relegation battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment