Friday 4 December 2020

Team Rowan vs Team Jacobin

Last night Anna and I played our second league match for Team Rowan. It was total points, so that means bidding games (and slams) where possible. We applied this principle, but it didn't pay off. Every time we stretched to bid game, trumps split badly and we couldn't make it. Twice we investigated slam, and ended up going down at the five level. It doesn't matter if trumps split badly when you're in the same game everyone will be in (the result will be the same at the other table), but it's bad luck if you bid an ambitious game and things fall badly.

By contrast our opponents lead rather a charmed life. Once one of them made a transfer into Hearts with just ♥94. Luckily their partner had ♥AKQJ4. Once the responder held ♠AKJ3 ♥AQ5 ♦43 ♣8765, and decided to make a non-forcing bid, which miraculously lead to them avoiding a bad game (opener had a ten count).

And what would you lead opposite 4♥ with ♠AJ62 ♥J3 ♦875 ♣AJT2 ? They found the ♣A lead, then when partner discouraged still continued with a Club to the King, the only way to beat the contract.

We were not without luck ourselves. The hand below was a stroke of good fortune:

After Anna competes with a double I stick my oar in with a risky 3♠ bid. At this point Anna should really bid game straight away (all she needs is for me to have the ♠K and ten tricks are likely). But she passes, then the opponents compete and end up pushing us into a making game.

After they take the first three tricks, South plays another Diamond. I'm now trapped in dummy. I did consider playing for trumps 3-0 (and Diamonds 4-1) and ruffing Diamonds back to hand to take a trump finesse, but decided that playing for a singleton ♠K needed less. When that worked, we made the game. South can make it harder for me by returning a trump at trick four, after which I would have a decision to make.

Our fortunate +620 here was a great score. On the other table in our match East-West also got to and made 4♠, after West bid Spades directly. In the other match our North-South pair did very well to make 4♥, and our East-West pair beat 5♥ by one trick. So overall for Team Rowan +620, -620, +620 and +100, making for a good board.

The next board is my folly (there's always one):

I have a big 21 point hand, but don't want to open 2NT with a weak singleton and didn't think it was strong enough for 2♣. I thought if I open 1♣ someone is bound to respond/overcall (it's more risky opening this sort of hand 1♠). To my relief Anna responded 1♥. I could have bid 2♠ showing a strong 5-4 hand, but kept things simple with 1♠. When Anna now bid 2♠ I thought I'd hit the jackpot.

All I need is for Anna to have the ♠K, and with my controls and Club suit slam is very likely. If she has the ♠K and ♦A I'm bidding seven. There's not much point cuebidding, as she can't have anything, so I just asked for Aces. Sadly, she had none, North doubled and I was in a doomed contract.

The double has told me all of the trumps are onside, so in theory I can get by losing just one trump and the ♦A. But the problem is, I keep having to ruff Diamonds, so North ends up with another trump trick. I realised this too late, and gave away an extra trick trying to draw trumps, rather than gracefully accepting the loss of three tricks and one off. At total points, the -500 for two off doubled vulnerable was not good.

On the other table in our match the opposition West also went off two in 5♠, but undoubled for a loss of only 200 points. In the other match Team Rowan went one off in 5♠ (well played) and defended 5♣, which also went off. So every contract failed, but I failed the most so the team lost points here.

Funnily enough if I open 2♣ that probably keeps the bidding lower.

My last featured board is another sad loss

Anna opened 1♥ and then rebid 2♣, promising five Hearts. I then overbid a bit with a jump to 4♥. Although Anna is weak in points her 5-5 shape mean game has a chance.

Here's my logic to bidding the game, vulnerable, at total points. If it makes we get +620, compared to +170, so a gain of 450. If it fails we get -100, compared to +140, so a loss of 240. The potential gain therefore far outweighs the loss, and in fact game only needs a 38% chance to be worth bidding.

Things looks promising on the ♦A lead. If trumps split and we can avoid a Club loser it's home. Anna goes for the Club finesse, which fails and it's off one. This finesse is not a good idea, as even if it works you still need to ruff lots of Clubs. So I think it's best to lead the ♣J (in case you get a cover) then take a ruffing finesse. That would certainly have worked here anyway.

One off cost us -100, and another -170 when the other table made 3♥+1. In the other match we conceded another 140 for 3♥=, and on the last table the board was passed out, for an overall loss on the board.

Overall our match was a heavy loss, but the other table a big gain so Team Rowan won the match by 10-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment