Wednesday 10 September 2014

Commonwealth Nations Bridge Championship - Day Three

Play is yet to start on Day Three, but we're nearly half way through and the top teams are emerging. After 6/13 rounds, here's the leaders. Only the top four in each group will qualify:

Group 1
1 Canada 96.20 VPs
2 England 1 95.17 VPs
3 Scotland Chairman's 80.74 VPs
4 Scotland 80.31 VPs
5 South Africa 72.36 VPs
6 Wales 2 65.66 VPs
Group 2
1 Pakistan 2 92.29 VPs
2 India 89.01 VPs
3 Australia 80.22 VPs
4 Wales 71.58 VPs
5 England 2 70.30 VPs
6 Isle of Man 69.49 VPs

I've gone down to sixth place as I wanted to include the Isle of Man, who had a good day yesterday beating England 2 and beating Australia. I sat with them in the lobby and they were surprised and delighted at their good showing so far, and their captain joked that they had just become favourites to win the event.

Outside of the top positions Group 2 also features a close battle between two Channel Island teams, with Guernsey currently just ahead of Jersey.

Personally, I'm rooting for Singapore. This is for no particular reason apart from I'm going there next month, and they seem to be a nice team. They are currently 9th in Group 1, with some work to do. I'll be looking out for them today.

Finally, I've decided I don't like the new VP scale (my previous article on that is here). Since there are already arbitrary thresholds for when points become IMPs it doesn't makes sense to be overly precise in converting IMPs to VPs. And those decimal points look ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment