Wednesday 22 February 2023

HighSchoolOfGlasgow vs Acuity

With the Peggy Bayer last weekend three of our team were busy catching up on University work, so the reserves were brought in for this league match against last season's champions. I played with Kevin, and Harry with Phil Moon.

As the host of the match I was responsible for the setup, so take full blame for accidenally leaving the barometer on, meaning we could all see the scores. I also take the blame for this one:

Expecting a Heart stopper of something like AQx, I went for a surpise Spade lead. Declarer collected the next ten tricks, and as the hand revealed itself I realised that partner must have had the Ace of Hearts all along. Perhapas it's time for an agreement of what it means when we double their cuebid in our suit, then Kevin can double 3♥ when he has the Ace like this.

I also take responsiblity for making an ever so slightly light overcall on ♠854 ♥AQ985 ♦74 ♣J76 , leading to conceding 5♦x. Because I'd left the barometer on, I could see that we'd just lost 26 IMPs.

We pulled it back though. Kevin and I bid aggressively to keep them out of a few games (which Harry and Phil made), and defended well to beat a few games (which Harry and Phil made). My favourite hand though is a rare part score, played at the other table:

The 2♠ overcall is borderline but it finds good support and with 1NT making could lead to a gain. There look to be five inescapable losers - one Spade, one Heart, two Diamonds and a Club. If the Heart Ace is onside you can throw a Club from dummy, but that fails here. Harry played on Diamonds and eventually set up the suit when they split 3-3 and could throw two losing Clubs from hand. Of course the defence had plenty of time to switch to Clubs and foil this plan, but never did, so the hard work paid off and Harry made 3♠=.

We won the match by 78-33 IMPs and will climb back up to about mid-table.

No comments:

Post a Comment