Tuesday 16 March 2021

SOL3: Ash vs Faben

Last night I played my first match in the third edition of the Scottish Online League, partnering John Faben. During the last week I've been learning our system, which is here.

Things went pretty well. On the first hand I overcalled their 4♠ with 5♥ on a borderline hand. The key is not to think about it too long, just do it. It went two off, with 4♠ not making, but at least it got me well into the game. This was actually a gain of 5 IMPs when after a slower auction it was doubled on the other table:

At the end of the first twelve boards we were 22 IMPs up (45-23). We had played quite well, and were also slightly fortunate.

In the second half the boards were a little wilder, and there were mistakes on both sides. For Team Faben, this board was the highlight:

Our auction is all quite new to me. We play five card majors and strong NT, so my 1♣ was only 2+. After John's 1♥ my 2♦ was entirely conventional, showing 18-19. After that things got a little hazy, but 4♥ was never going to be that bad. It was indeed a 4-3 fit, but a strong one, and John wrapped up 12 tricks (4 Hearts, 4 Spades, 4 Diamonds).

Even better, it looks like 3NT could be in trouble, as Clubs split 5-2. On the other table North-South got to the more conventional 3NT. If East was on lead a Club lead would be normal, but West was on lead. Paul found the killer King of Clubs lead, beating 3NT by 1. That was 13 IMPs for the team.

It was a long match, the 24 boards stretching from 7 pm to 1030 pm. It was an effort concentrating for so long, and towards the end I was rather hoping to be dummy. But then I got dealt this massive South hand, and was in the spotlight.

My 2♥ followed by 3♠ was basically natural. I've now taken up quite a lot of room, so when John bid 4♥ it's hard to know how much support he has. I know from his initial 2♦ response he has at least 4 points, but I'm not sure if he's showing two or three card Heart support (have I shown six, or only five?). I decided that I could well be losing a Heart and two Aces, to the five level isn't safe, so I passed.

On the other table the auction started the same but the South (Robert Ferrari) bid on - with Blackwood then 6♥.

It looks like a pretty good contract, but actually if the defence begin with their Ace of Diamonds you'll lose a trump too and go down. In fact, on both tables there was a Club lead and twelve tricks made.

In the second half we shaded it by 5 IMPs (41-36).

Overall that translated to a 15-5 VP win.

2 comments:

  1. On the second one, 5D is also off on a club lead, as they get a trump promotion on the 3rd round, so we're in the only making game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the slam hand my 2D showed 9+ as we use 2S thru 3s to show 5-8 unbal hands. Thus going on was clear.

    ReplyDelete