Tuesday 30 March 2021

Got the timing wrong

After concentrating hard in the SOL match last night I thought I'd relax in tonight's 12 board matchpoints with Anna. It turns out playing relaxed isn't a very good idea, and without proper concentration I made a lot of mistakes.

Things didn't go well for either of us and after bad scores on the first five boards we were both on the tilt. This lead to some aggressive actions, which all surprisingly seemed to work.

This was our best score, a 4♥ I misplayed but got away with:

After Anna's double I am worth a raise to 3♥, and with all her points working I like Anna's raise to game.

After a Diamond lead my plan is to lead up to take my ♥AK, lead up to the ♠K, and ruff some Diamonds. Hopefully losing just one Heart, one Spade and one Club. But what order to do it in?

I went for taking out the Hearts first, then lead up to the ♠K. To my surprise this held. I lead a Diamond back, ruffed a Diamond, and lead a Spade from dummy. I'm now stuffed - as whichever defender has the last trump can win this Spade and draw dummy's last trump. Luckily for me, after East played the ♠Q West overtook with the Ace, and had no trump to return. So I made 4♥=.

As Anna pointed out to me afterwards, I should play two rounds of Spades immediately. I win my King, then play another round. Now if the defence play trumps I'm still in control.

Depsite 94% on the board we finished as badly as we started and ended up on 46%.

No comments:

Post a Comment