Friday 4 September 2020

Big hand

Ted and I played together the other night. We are largely on the same wavelength, albeit with roughly one mix-up every ten hands or so. Actually maybe that's quite high.

On this one we got it right:

After South opens 1♣ it gets passed around to me. I have a nice 18 point hand so start with a double. Ted isn't quite strong enough to do any more so just bids 1♥. At this point despite having such a good hand I have to be disciplined and only raise to 2♥. This feels a bit strange, as normally if partner responded 1♥ I'd raise to game. But here his 1♥ shows 0-8, so I am only worth a simple raise to 2♥.

Ted recognised that I must have a big hand to be raising opposite potentially nothing, and bid an immediate 4♥. A club was lead.

Despite trumps being 4-1, and the Club finesse being offisde, it's easy to make game. South is known to have all of the points, so eventually is going to have to lead you round a Diamond, or break open Spades.

At the other table they stalled in 2♥ after the same start to the auction.

No comments:

Post a Comment