Sunday 5 July 2020

Failure to alert

Last night Anna and I had our third outing at the Buchanan Saturday tournament. After complaining that she didn't get to play any hands Anna had a run of four in a row. She played the first 4♥ beautifully to give us a lead in the match, and the rest were mostly flat.

I had one rather frustrating outing playing 2♣, where after the opening lead I asked the opponents what carding they play. What is a reasonable amount of time to wait for an answer? After a few minutes I got the reply "varies". I asked for details, got none, and decided to just play on. A couple of hands later when dummy I realised they were playing reverse attitude, both when following suit and when discarding. I wrote this to the table (so Anna could see), and an opponent then confirmed with "low like, high hate".

Anna and I are good at alerting out bids, although there is a quirk on Bridge Base that means sometimes when you're declarer the alert pops up covering the left hand side of dummy. If you click "OK" it disappears for an instant then another alert appears covering the right hand side of dummy, then they both appear. It happened to both me and Anna and neither of us could work out a way to get rid of them. It explains what I have written on the alert on the 2♠ bid below!

The auction is fairly standard, Anna transferring and getting a nice dummmy. With the Spades offisde there are two to lose, plus a Heart and three Clubs. However, I got a Heart lead and return and could throw away one losing Club on the Diamonds for 2♠=. On the other table North was declarer in 2♠, and East found the astonishing lead of the ♣2 to take the contract one off.

In the end we won the match 25-11.

No comments:

Post a Comment