Monday 6 April 2020

Textbook

I sometimes look at bridge problems in a magazine or newspaper. You can normally work out what the point of the problem is, and solve it. In real life it's much harder, as you're not sure if there even is a neat solution.

Last week though, in a friendly match on Bridge Base, I actually had one of these textbook hands come up. There was one and only chance to make it, which I had to play for:

Anna had the East hand and opened. A bit light, but with good Clubs. I was East and was also a bit light when I raised to game, but was hoping to find six Clubs in dummy. Against 3NT North lead a low Diamond.

We've only 23 points, but it's got play. I've got five Club tricks (assuming they split), one Heart, one Diamond, so need two Spades. The thing to do then is to lead up to the ♠T, and if it's onside I'll get my two spades. I recognise this, and after winning the first Diamond lead a Spade up to the ♠Q, which holds.

I now simply have to complete my plan and lead a Spade back to the ♠T, which as you can see will work. But I start to wonder if I need to do that straight away, and maybe there's the chance of a Diamond trick too. I try playing a Diamond, which is catastrophic. South wins his ♦K and accurately switches to a Heart. Now I have to lose one Heart, one Spade, and three Diamonds.

One off, when it was there for the taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment